HISTORY

 

Bideber Mill (also known as Byber, Biber and Bikeber Mill) dates back to the 1500's. The site is mentioned in several old texts, notably W Greenwoods book 'The Redman's of Levens and Harewood' (Titus Wilson, Kendal 1905 p198).

Historical evidence leads us to safely assume that there was a water mill for grinding grain from the 16th century on the site of the present property. It is situated on the convergence of two main thoroughfares which exist to this day as public rights of way. Local people from the nearby villages and hamlets would have used these routes to bring their corn to the mill for grinding.

The construction of the railway system in the mid 19th century ended the need for growing corn in this area when grain and flour could easily and more economically be grown and transported from the eastern parts of the country.

The disused railway line near Bideber Mill Cottage was probably built over a small mill dam, the water being supplied from the nearby stream. This stream has its source on the high pastures above Masongill, but is supplemented by water from a very large spring on the Turbary allotment, on the slopes of Gegareth. This was conveyed along a cut or man made water course for miles along the side of Gegareth. This cut was still maintained in working order until 1956.

Settle District Council water department installed a six inch water pipe to convey water to Turbary to a storage reservoir to supply water for Masongill, Westhouse, Thornton and part of Ingleton. This ended in 1999 when the storage reservoir was no longer operation.

Home Powered By CMSimple Home
Bideber Mill Cottage, Westhouse, Ingleton, North Yorkshire England LA6 3NY